Friday 14 October 2011

The chase

Well, the car insurance is sorted & paid for. I've got this week's ironing done. Now I can think about turning my attention to other things. In particular, my mind is going towards dinner.

Today I'm having a go with Big Ears, our slow cooker. This new, to us, equipment has been taken over by the Fox. He's grown to love it as much as the wok. His Pea & Ham Soup yesterday (see his blog) was excellent. It may not have been his mother's, but nonetheless it was tasty & satisfying.

This is only my second endeavour. I'm tackling a Chicken Cacciatore. I'm a bit nervous about it. The wine has to be boiled to reduce & I'm not sure if the hot setting will be hot enough to do this. It is hot enough to pre-fry meat etc so hopefully it will be okay. If the worse comes to the worst I will just have to empty the wine into a saucepan, reduce it then return it to Big Ears. We'll see.

Meanwhile I've discovered we're not the only people suffering the fly & midge epidemic. We went to our village pub yesterday. There we watched the landlady in full attack with a rolled up magazine as she chased around the bar. The problem is, with there being food around, lemons for the drinks etc, she doesn't feel she can really use a fly spray. In the kitchens they have these ultra-violet lights but she reckons the pesky critters have learnt to avoid them now. It's really getting her down. She's never known it as bad as this year & suspects we're right when we suggest it's all those green bins, full of unwrapped rotting food & not collected sometimes for weeks at a time, that are the cause. It is to be hoped that, by next summer, a more regular, & therefore healthier, collection arrangement can be organised. Meanwhile roll on some really cold weather to get rid of them!

No comments: