Thursday 2 September 2010

Strange sounds & innocent pleasure

"What's that?" I wondered. I could hear a strange sound. I had gone along to the fish shop on the Mean Machine, my electric scooter, & was on my way back. I looked up.

The building in front of me was a Gothic monstrosity, the sort of place on a dark night you could imagine bats circling & vampires haunting, lived in by the like of the Munsters or the Addams family. In fact it is a pub. High on top of the roof is a central section, taller than the rest, with a fancy wrought iron frill.

I suddenly noticed the wrought iron was moving. It was covered with birds, all chattering away. I suspect they were starlings from their size & darkness.

I turned the corner on to the prom. A couple of very young unclothed children were playing in the fountains, closely supervised by their mother. I couldn't help wondering if the sight of such pale unfeathered creatures cavorting in this way was what was causing the birds such amusement.

I found myself coming home with a half-smile on my face remembering such innocent pleasure. I was surprised these days the children were allowed to play unclothed like this, but why not. There were few around to see & the only person paying close attention to their activites was the mother.

No comments: