Thursday 22 April 2010

Wishful thinking

Last night was the one step step back that so often comes when you're recovering from illness. We had our meal - bland frozen pie, tinned new potatoes, some carrots, our first real fresh veg in days. We congratulated ourselves that we could taste properly again. We even opened a bottle of wine, first for days. Our frustration at the time was that the food was so bland & the pastry so heavy. Today we decided I would settle back into proper cooking once more.

In the evening we sat & watched the tele for a bit, still feeling fine.We'd got the food poisoning beat.

Shortly before 10pm, with a little help from the Fox, I got up to go to bed. The shakes set in. By the time I was in bed, the sweats had arrived, along with the stomach cramps. On it went into the earlier hours, only alternating with a bit of gastric reflux.

To make matters worse I was aware I was due to start on my night-time course of pills. Although I knew it was more than two hours since I'd had anything to eat or drink, I still didn't dare take the pill as I suspected it would have been straight up again, along with dinner, down the loo. Eventually things eased & I took the pill.

I gather the Fox didn't fare too much better.

Nonetheless I have peeled some spuds this morning in the hope we feel up to eating tonight.

Later this morning we're off to the Farmers' Market. I know what I'll be doing when we get back. I'm off to bed. I'm shattered - a distinct need for more sleep.

So much for it being over!

Meanwhile, my spirits have not been lifted much by the arrival of a big manila envelope in the post, my Disability Living Allowance form. Once more I have to face the questions, realise how much worse I am now than when I filled the form in three years ago, gird myself up to cope with the bureaucratic red tape that's sure to follow, the anxiety of wondering whether they'll pass it & let me continue to get my money or they'll say no & I'll have to go through the whole tribunal business once more. Why, oh why, can't they just ask a simple a couple of simple of questions like, do you still have your disability? has it got improved, if so how? That's all that's needed, surely. Instead I have to face this trauma once more.

No comments: