Monday 12 April 2010

A good weekend

I'm feeling all the joys of spring today. The sun is shining. I've put the washing out to dry for the first time this year. I've switched off the heating & cast a layer of clothing for once. I've even done a spot of weeding!

It's been a good weekend. The Fox has already talked about our stroll along the Prom & Stone Jetty, admiring the various artworks on the theme of birds, part of the Tern Project. That was part of my birthday treat. Afterwards we adjourned to Ricky's, our favourite Cantonese restaurant, for an excellent meal, followed by home & a bottle of fizz, not quite champagne but nonetheless enjoyable.

Part of the reason we took Saturday so quietly is that my cousin Trudy & her husband Bill came up yesterday, Sunday. We joined them for lunch at a Brewers Fayre near the motorway exit. They were on their way for a week's holiday at the Centreparc near Penrith with their daughter & her family. We had expected to only be there a couple of hours, but it ended up being over 4 hours. The rest of the family was coming up in a separate car a little later due to the fact the grandsons were involved in rugby matches. Unfortunately one of them was late back. Still we made the most of it & had a good long chat before returning home in time for a cup of tea before the Fox got on with cooking the dinner.

It's strange. I had never met or talked to this branch of the family until after my father's death in 2002. Our first meeting was when we were invited down to a surprise 70th birthday party for my cousin Alma, Trudy's older sister a year or two later. We seem to have hit it off. In many ways Trudy & Alma have stepped into the gap left by the demise of my immediate family. I've grown to love an appreciate them both & their families.

No comments: