Friday 16 April 2010

Cheated

I was disappointed this morning. I woke up. The radio was on. It was going on about the closure of British airspace due to the Icelandic volcanic ash in the higher atmosphere. It then went on about how beautiful the sight was, these days so rarely seen, of blue skies without a vapour trail in sight. That I thought was worth getting up to see. To discover the sky was so overcast it was impossible to see any blue sky between the clouds. I felt I was got up under false pretences & rather cheated.

What worries me, though, is when flying will restart. We got our villa voucher yesterday. Our holiday is soon approaching. We're looking forward to it far too much to want to miss our trip to France. I'm telling myself it should be OK by then. But the volcano is likely to belch for quite a long time yet, so we're keeping fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, at the Pub, one of the temporary barmaids is leaving. She is studying for a French & German degree at university. She's off to spend three months in France as part of her course. The first month or so is living with a family in Lille while she does a course there. Then she's off to work in Nice for the rest of the time. She's really looking forward to it. We couldn't help envying her. We obviously studied the wrong courses. Law & theology didn't take you to such wondrous places!

No comments: