Monday 26 April 2010

Blossom time

It's the last Monday of the month once more, so we're off for a meal with the others tonight. This time we're dining at our local village pub. There will probably only be five of us - Fran & Den, Helen & us. I sometimes wonder if it's worth arranging these events when they're so badly attended. But the others do seem to appreciate them.

It's a duller morning today. The sun is trying to push its way through the cloud cover. I've just put my washing out on the line to dry. The breeze should do the job even if there isn't much heat.

At one point my eyes were drawn up the garden. As soon as all was pegged out I ventured down for an explore. What had caught my eye was a magnificent cherry tree which has come into bloom over the weekend.

I toodled on down the garden. Yes the other cherry was in bloom & looking magnificent too. I daresay this will be another summer when I'll be lucky to taste any of the fruit, the birds will have that pleasure. But I can't complain. I love to see the trees & birds.

Next to the second cherry is a silver birch. It was difficult to identify the tree until now as the shade is so dense there. The tree has now matured sufficiently to stretch up into the sunlight, with its silver bark luminous in the gloom.

I'm expecting the apple & pear trees to burst into flower any time. They're both covered in buds. I hope they open before we go away.

It's definitely tree blossom time. Our neighbour's huge damson tree is a mass of white. This tree overhangs our garden so I almost regard it as a feature of own garden. He also has a huge hawthorn also in flower & near our boundary fence. It's great to see all this new life & colour.

No comments: