Saturday 10 April 2010

Fred & Gene

Last night we sat watching a programme featuring Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers singing & dancing. Although I wouldn't say Fred ever had a great voice, he had an honesty & sincerity of voice that is truly touching. As for his dancing, I doubt he ever put a foot wrong. He has an elegance & sureness of foot it's difficult to imagine bettering. Having watched the odd excerpt of "Strictly Come Dancing", I can't help thinking how much better Fred is. His feet positively twinkle as they float him & partner across the dance floor.

I couldn't help comparing him with that other great dancer of movie fame, Gene Kelly. Their styles are very different. Gene is much more macho & muscular. But the biggest difference, I can't help thinking, is that Fred always danced with a partner, even if the partner was a hatstand or a golf club. Gene always danced alone even if in theory he was dancing with the likes of Leslie Caron. Both superb in their way but very different.

4 comments:

Malcolm said...

I assume from this that you've been enjoying some of the American sogbook fest on BBC4. I particularly enjoyed the Johnny Mercer programme on the importance of the singer - it was really interesting coming from the songwriter's perspective. the programme on the influence of Louis Armstrong was also especially enjoyable!

Malcolm said...

just noticed i used the word "sogbook" rather than "songbook" - must be a Freudian slip referring to the more soppy elements of popular song!

The Oxcliffe Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Oxcliffe Fox said...

Blogger The Oxcliffe Fox said...

You got it in one, Malcolm. As for your second comment I can't help being reminded by what Doris Day said in one of her old films - I think it was "I'll See You in My Dreams" - in which she encourages her lyricist husband (Gus Kahn if I've got the right film) by commenting that he had the talent of putting the thoughts & feelings of the common boy & girl into words which they couldn't do for themselves, & his success would lie therein. And we all get a bit soppy when we're in love. The Vixen.