Wednesday 28 April 2010

A sense of urgency

The tickets have come. Somehow the holiday is taken on a reality that previously it lacked. Suddenly I feel a sense of urgency. It's time I had a look through the fridge & cupboards to make sure I use up any food that may go off.

Yesterday I planted out the coriander that has been sitting on the kitchen window the last few months. Basil Bush is hardening off. I'll get that out next week. They might as well be out there. At least then they have a chance of surviving. They certainly won't survive a fortnight inside without water while we're away.

Along with the tickets we were surprised to find a small book on Nice, which I'm hastily reading. If nothing else the photos are whetting our appetite.

But first we have a birthday to celebrate, the Fox's 60th. I can't see us doing much. We seem to have too many chores to do - prescriptions to collect, birthday cards to buy, shopping to do. But at least I'm hoping to do something a bit special for dinner, some salmon fillet parcels. I'm adding some ginger, soy, spring onions & peppers to give them a more Asian flavouring. I've already prepared some new potatoes ready to saute this evening. Apart from that, we've got a bottle of champagne which I'm hoping we'll open - a party for two. Quiet, but hopefully enjoyable.

No comments: