Friday 12 March 2010

New visitor & good(?) food

I was surprised to discover I new visitor to our garden this morning - a wood-pigeon. At first I assumed it was yet another feral pigeon, but somehow it looked different. It looked fat, grey backed, pinky purple breast. Then I noticed on its neck the distinctive white flash with a hint of green above & pinky purple below. Definitely a wood-pigeon.

Otherwise this morning is back to normal. I've already prepared the dinner. Potatoes peeled, sprouts peeled, pork in its sagey breadcrumb coat. All ready for a quick diner tonight.

Last night we watched "Michelin Stars - the Madness of Perfection" on BBC2. I have to confess it confirmed some of my doubts on the starring system.

What is perfection in food? Some food comes beautifully presented but is often not satisfactory as a meal. Equally, so often a dining experience can be spoilt by bad service - either because of too long a wait, or too officious service with the result the flow of conversation is constantly interrupted.
Sometimes it's just downright pretentious. For that matter Michelin-starred food is usually too rich to be wanted on a daily basis. But does this make it good or bad? I'm not sure.

My thoughts have been on this matter partially because of our forthcoming trip to London. There are so many Michelin-starred restaurants there. I had wondered as a 60th birthday treat for the Fox we shouldn't try one, the more so when I saw a special price offer in a magazine.

Ultimately I've dismissed the idea. I don't want to book a table. I want us to be able to go where we fancy to eat what we fancy when we fancy it. And that may well be fish & chips or an Indian. Above all I want it to be a meal that is a pleasure where we can enjoy good food & each other's company. It may or may not have stars, but enjoyment is the mark of a good restaurant for me.

No comments: