Tuesday 16 March 2010

Late spring

It's official. Spring is late this year. I rather guessed that just looking out of the window, but now it's official with a lack of daffodils in the Lake Distract & a lack of blossoms in southern woodlands. I can't say I'm surprised. We do seem to have had a long, severe winter this year.

At church, the lady who bought the daffodils for the Mothering Sunday posies muttered about the price of the daffodils. Most years she spends £18, but this year it was £42, and slightly fewer flowers too.

I couldn't help thinking that was not surprising. Just look around you. By this time, even in the north of England I expect the daffs to be in bud, with the first few opening out. Last week, when I was out in the garden, I became aware of the first long green blades of the daffodil leaves but no buds. That being so these daffs must have been grown in warmer climes or under glass. There's no way they would be grown locally.

Now, today, the news is reporting the lack of blossom & buds in woodland & hedgerow. Again I'm not surprised. I am aware you can just see the odd leaf bud but they are very tightly closed. No actual sign of greenness.

The only real signs of spring so far have been the snowdrops (usually out in January, this year February) & the crocuses. The days have got longer, & on sunny days, warmer during the daytime, although still freezing at night. The birds seem to have got the idea of spring, being in the process of mating & nest-building. By the time eggs are hatched I daresay the plants will be bursting into life, catching up on the year, providing food for the new life.

No comments: