Friday 18 December 2009

First signs of festive spirit?

We set off to the Pub. The Fox had been up to the doctor's not long before. He mentions he'd seen what looked like a pile of snow up there. There was no sign of any at home I assure him. The sky is bright blue with the odd heavy cloud. Then we notice what at first seems like rain but turns into snow. An amount that if you blinked you'd miss it, but nonetheless snow. I find myself humming, "dreaming of a white Christmas". Am I finally beginning to get into the festive spirit?

Snow flurries occasionally occur throughout the night. Never enough to cause any problems or to settle. This morning is another glorious bright blue sky. No sign of snow. I go round to the compost bin. The lake, now just a pond, is frozen solid. It certainly is cold.

I put a bit of fat out for the birds while the flour cooks a bit for dinner. Once inside I slowly add the milk for a cheesy oniony sauce. Before I put the heat back on, I think I'll open the door for a bit of fresh air. Mr Blackbird is already pouncing on the fat. When the meal is all put together, I go out & fill up the seed containers & put some warm water in the bird bath. At least for a little while there should be some liquid for the birds to drink, before it too freezes up.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

We certainly had a good fall of snow, this side of the Pennines - it looks wonderful but, has evidently been found a little inconvenient on some nearby roads.

It'd great watching the birds enjoy their food, having first cleared the snow mounds from both ground and elevated feeders.