Saturday 19 December 2009

The divided world continues

I woke early this morning, feeling cold. The central heating hadn't been on long & had not had time to penetrate the night-time freeze.I put the radio on to be greeted by the news.Needless to say the first item was the results of the climate change agreement. I heard a comment from one of the African delegations, saying that they were being coerced into signing their own suicide document. It set me thinking.

I'm not entirely convinced that there is global warming on the scale predicted. Undeniably we are going through a phase of global warming, but how much of it is the natural pattern of nature & how much is man-made I'm not sure. (Certainly at the moment it seems cold enough outside!)

But the one thing I was feeling a bit more optimistic about is that for once I felt that the nations of the world were coming together to work towards a better world for all. Such world co-operation to my mind is the only solution to war, to any problem with worldwide consequences. I hoped for a world in which every state would have as much value as every other country, every person wherever he comes from, would be regarded as valuable as every other person. Seemingly not. Once again the few richer countries are to go ahead doing what they want, & for the poorer countries to pay the price & suffer the consequences. That was the gist of this African's comment.

The divided world seems set to continue.


No comments: