Sunday 27 December 2009

The calm before the storm

The snow has all but disappeared. The rain has well and truly arrived, washing away any last remnants of dirty slush.

I'm relieved to be getting back to normal for a day or two. We're celebrating by opening a tin of tuna for dinner. The Fox is going to make a pilaf for a welcome change. After all the rich food the last couple of days, it should be just what we need. And during the afternoon, we will do our usual Sunday afternoon chores - the cleaning & bed changing.

Now we just have the disruption of the New Year celebrations to face. But that never has the same sense of anticipation & anticlimax as Christmas. We usually try to have something special to eat. I usually try to stay up to see the new year in with a bottle of champagne. PD has invited us round to his, to share a Chinese banquet takeaway from our, & their, favourite Chinese restaurant. I doubt we'll go. As I've already said, I'm reluctant to commit to going anywhere these days where I will have to walk late at night. And they have some big doorsteps. Instead we'll stay at home & toast our friends, both local ones & those who live further away.

No comments: