Thursday 17 December 2009

Old favourites

There's something comforting about old favourites, be they films, clothes, food, whatever. What has set me off on this line of thought is today's dinner - ham & egg flan. It's one of the few Mrs Beeton recipes we really love. I discovered it early in our married life. In those days we had it often, partially because my culinary repertoire was very limited, partially because it is so easy & cheap to make & partially because we enjoyed it so much.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm doing a bit of freezer emptying & today's item to use up is a couple of ounces of sliced ham. I instantly thought of this recipe. I have since wondered if I should try doing something new & different but I've decided to stick with this idea. Once ham & egg flan occurred to me I've felt a warm glow of eager anticipation. I mentioned the thought to the Fox & he too beamed. We haven't had one for a while so I hope we still enjoy it. The very thought of it is reassuring & comforting.

But it seems to me that that is the reaction whatever old favourite you think of. They wrap you around in a warm eiderdown of comfort & reassurance. At Christmas time we often dig out our copy of "Calamity Jane", "Beauty & the Beast" or "High Society", all enjoyable romps & I've just realised musicals. All guaranteed to put us in good mood. It's time we had something reassuringly comforting once again.

No comments: