Thursday 10 September 2009

Cold strikes again

All plans for the next few days are off. The Fox has gone down with a cold. For the last week he has been fighting it off. He's had a sore throat & felt a bit stuffed up. But at the same time his skin has turned into sandpaper, which usually means he's suffering from an allergy rather than a cold. Yesterday he started to blow and well & truly know it's a cold.

His ill-health affects my lifestyle. Without his assistance in every day living, my life comes down to basics - a regular circular trip from a chair in the lounge, to the toilet, to the kitchen for something to drink, back to the chair. More than that & I just grind to a halt. I feel quite guilty about having to be so self-centred when he's ill. I so want to be of help to the Fox. But, ultimately, the best I can do is try to avoid his cold & keep going. Let him rest & get better without worrying about me. If possible I'll make dinner but it will be something that requires minimum effort, a ready meal probably.

I'm telling myself it's maybe best to get the cold out of the way now rather than when we're on holiday. With a bit of luck he should be fine by then & be able to enjoy the trip. Hopefully I will have avoided getting it.

And no, he doesn't think for one minute that it's swine flu. It's a cold, pure & simple.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

The Fox must be trying to keep up with my OH - there's nothing common about the common cold!