Tuesday 25 November 2008

A place we won't be visiting

The world is feeling pretty good today. The sun is shining. The sky blue. The air is crisp after a very cold night. The blackbirds are happily hopping around the garden, turning over leaves, as they seek their prey - hopefully that will be a slug or two less! I've rung PD - still full of the new addition to his family. I've rung MK - we're off to see him this afternoon. Things seem to be falling into place well today, for once.

Yesterday I finished reading about Penang. For those of you who don't know, Penang is a small island off the west coast of Malaya, near the Thai border. This also happens to be where my parents got married & honeymooned. My mother always spoke of it as an island paradise. So it is I'm contemplating making it a part of our holiday to the Far East.

One place I don't think we will be visiting there is the Snake Temple. Poisonous snakes are left unmolested here to slither over altars etc. Apparently the caretaker reckons all the snakes are de-fanged. He reckons you can safely have your photo taken with the snakes coiled around your neck. The book wouldn't guarantee how safe it is.

Personally I'm not even tempted to try. I'm dubious if I even want to venture into the temple, let alone have my picture taken with the snakes anywhere near me. It would be just my luck for a newcomer, still not de-fanged, to come my way. I feel it's shades of the snake pit in the Indiana Jones film, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" . That scene always sends shudders up my spine. No, the more I think about it, the less the idea of venturing to look at this temple appeals. I'm relieved to say the Fox agrees with me.

No comments: