Monday 24 November 2008

Computers

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have anything to do with a computer today. As I said in my introductory blog here, I'm no computer whizz kid. Indeed there are days when I seem to act as a jinx on computers. Not only does everything I try to do on one go wrong, other people's computers start playing up too on those days. Computers at banks, building societies, call centres all go down on contact with me then.

I suppose I began to wonder today when I was asked to scan & e-mail a letter. I've never scanned anything in my life. The Fox looks after that side of things. I look at the books on the shelf. Nothing on scanning. I look at the scanner, but I'm none the wiser. That job will just have to wait for the Fox to be around to do it.

So I think I'll write my blog. I know how to do that. I do it most days, as you know. As I sign in, the computer refuses to recognise the password. I type it in again, slowly this time, to make sure I haven't mistyped it. It still doesn't accept it. Has the Fox changed the password? Surely he would have told me? I see there's a hyperlink if you've forgotten your password. I try that. I can't for the life of me understand what the site is trying to tell me. I leave this website & return later. Now it will accept the password I'd originally tried to put in & so here I am. Why it should accept now what it refused before is beyond me.

There are times I sympathise with Little B's frustration with computers. When they work well, they can be invaluable. But when they don't - the amount of hassle is unbelievable. I tell myself it's a reflection of my state, since I'm operating it, rather than the machine, but I'm not entirely convinced.... Maybe I've just spent too much time on Little B's laptop which we bought off him. Too many games of mahjong...

No comments: