Friday 21 November 2008

Migraine

Be warned. This blog may stop at any moment, even mid-sentence.

If you read the Fox's blog for Wednesday, you'll realise I've been having a migraine problem just lately. The first attack hit Friday teatime. The Fox had to cook dinner, hence the delay with the Quiche a la Sardine.

The second came yesterday. We were just about to go off to the Pub. We had arranged to buy Little B's new laptop - he's given up in despair with it, more hassle in his life than he needs. Then once more my eyes went off. The Fox went alone while I lay down in the bedroom, curtains drawn, eyes closed.

This morning I woke still feeling a bit weary but not too bad. By the time I'd had my breakfast, my eyes were once more playing up. Another lie down. I've finally manage to bone the pheasant for today & get it plopping away in the oven to be warmed up this evening.

For me migraines take the form of flashing bright lights, a bit like the exploding showers of lights from fireworks. Part images occur. So I'll see the lamp on a street lamp-post. I'll see the ground. But I won't see the post holding up the lamp. If I try to focus through the flashing lights, a terrific headache results. The only thing that helps is to shut my eyes for a while, preferably in a dark room, and wait for it to pass, hopefully after an hour or two.

The cause I have no idea. Usually they occur when I've been very stressed & I start to let go, but at the moment I'm not aware of any change in my stress levels to cause this reaction. Still I know it will probably only last a few days, then I won't have another attack for several years.

But at the moment I'm left with a deep sense of insecurity. I half expect my eyes to play up again at any moment. I'm anxious about using sharp knives or driving in case an attack occurs again.There are no signs of just when an attack will begin. I just start losing the image before my very eyes.

No comments: