Friday 14 November 2008

A friendly face

I'm in a daze, staring at row upon row of sauces on the supermarket shelves, when suddenly a friendly face comes my way, ready for an embrace. He is followed by a lady in sunglasses. I hastily speak.

Why, you might ask. Because this friendly face is a guide dog, a golden labrador, the lady his blind mistress. Not knowing the characters concerned, I thought I'd better speak so the lady would realise I was there. You don't exactly make a lot of noise sat in a wheelchair. Once I'd told her I was in a wheelchair, the lady burst into a smile.

She teaches at a local school for children with cerebral palsy. Most of the children there are wheelchair users. As a result her dog sees wheelchairs &, if he's a bit bored, heads straight for them, as he's confident he'll be petted & loved.

I gave him the requisite hug & told him he was to get back to work. He happily strode off after that. And I was left smiling.

No comments: