Sunday 25 April 2021

The End of the Road?

 It greives me to report that My Good Lady was taken into the local hospice to recieve End of Life care. I will, of course, keep her readers updated on her situation, but I firmly believe that the end is not far off.

She is no longer able to swallow, not even liquids. Her vocal cords are so badly damaged that she is unable to speak in anything above a whisper, and her words are so slurred as to be almost incomprehensible. She has long since lost the use of her legs, and as a result she is totally bedbound.

The only positive thing is that she is out of pain and is resting comfortably.

As for me, I'm as well as can be expected under the circumstances I suppose. I get a lot of support from neighbours, friends and family which is very welcome. However I miss My Good Lady dreadfully, as you can imagine, after 46 years of marriage. It's as if there's now a hole in the centre of me, which nothing seems able to fill.

I will report back as and when there is further news.

The Oxcliffe Fox


1 comment:

Malcolm said...

Sorry to hear this news, although relieved that her pain is under control. I could hear the struggle in her whispered voice last time I phoned. My thoughts and prayers are with you both as always. Her posts have always been inspirational in how she dealt with the multiple health problems, but realise what a difficult time it has been for you. Take care my friend. Don't forget that I'm just at the end of a phone line.