Tuesday 31 March 2020

The human voice


Yesterday we had two deliveries, one of wine & one of medicine. In both cases we stayed well away from each other, far more than the recommended 6ft. Nonetheless we bellowed greetings & good wishes. In the case of the medicine the same person had delivered on Friday & realised I’m disabled so waited to make sure I safely picked up the bag on the doorstep before getting back in the van to go.

It strikes me now that it is only on such rare occasions I even hear the normal human voice except the Fox’s. Yes, I hear the recorded voice on radio & television, CDs & the computer. I also hear friends on the telephone, though their voices seem distorted from the way they usually sound. The Fox & I continue to talk to each other most of the time. It would just be nice to hear more. For that matter I would like to feel part of something bigger than just the two of us. I “enjoyed” the clap for NHS workers, partly because I felt the need to show my appreciation for all their hard work, at the moment rather dangerous hard work, and partly because I joined in with something bigger as people nearby clapped too.

So yesterday it was a pleasure to exchange greetings with others, even though the conversation was superficial & at long distance.

No comments: