Friday 11 October 2019

Preparing


We’re off to the hospital yet again. This time it’s for the insertion of the PICC line. Afterwards we’re thinking of popping in to see our cruising friend again, if he’s still in. I’ll give his wife a ring later this morning to check. I’m not sure how long it will take to insert this line but it sounds as though it might take a while so it will probably be visiting time by the time I’m done. No matter how traumatic the event is I daresay I’ll manage to keep up a cheery face at least for a little while & if it lifts his spirits so much the better.

The Fox was busy last night cooking a chicken casserole so that will only need a quick warm up this evening.

 I’m aiming at a good nosh up the next few days. Saturday I’m cooking some slow cooked lamb. Sunday we’ve been invited out to a birthday meal – the host is in his 90s! I’m not sure how I will be feeling once the chemo starts on Monday. I may not feel like food at all. I may end up being nauseous if not positively sick. I’m hoping not. Monday I’m making a casserole to warm in the evening & just hoping I will feel up to eating it. If not it will just have to go in the freezer.

I think the uncertainly of how my body will react to the chemicals going in it is what’s worrying me. There seems to be such a long list of possible reactions – hair loss, anaemia, nausea to name but a few. I’m telling myself you’re given a long list of possible side effects of every medication you have & yet you rarely get any of them. I suppose it’s just that these chemotherapy drugs are so strong & they had a bad reputation in the past for their extreme effects on the body’s system. These days they have found many ways of avoiding the worst side effects – by careful monitoring & giving you anti-sickness medicines at the same time.

Here’s hoping all goes well.

No comments: