Monday 6 May 2019

Getting ready


The forecast wasn’t particularly exciting. Nonetheless the sun is shining. I’ve already managed to get my sheet dry on the line outside. I’m even beginning to contemplate taking a layer of clothing off. Admittedly I’m warm partially as the result of the fact I’ve been preparing dinner, Chicken & Barley Casserole. There seems to have been a fair bit of frying of chicken & onions, & partial simmering of barley, before the casserole went into the oven, where it now is. From the smells emanating from the oven, it’s clearly plopping away.

I’ve started to look at the various trips on offer with Hurtigruten. The one trip that appealed isn’t until the evening. By then I’m usually too tired to want to cope with a trip anywhere. After this I will look on.

So far I’ve more than enough things I’d like us to see, within easy walking distance of the harbour, without us paying the price of these trips. As I said last time, on the whole we prefer to find our own way around, see what appeals to us, linger or hasten on as things interest us or don’t. I know we miss out on the info & maybe some small hidden details, little gems, a good guide can give you, but so often they’re not good guides & the info often goes in one ear & out of the other. It also means we are free to follow the dictates of health & weather. It just means we have to keep our eyes on our watches to make sure we’re back on the ship before it sets sail again.


No comments: