Wednesday 8 August 2018

The fjords

I still look across Morecambe Bay & feel the Lakeland fells look small, diminished, after seeing the Norwegian fjords rising up from the waters. Yet looking at our photos so many of the Norwegian mountains look fantastic but similar. The scale of mountains & waterfalls is reduced by the lack of anything else to give you a sense of scale. Yet sailing through I cannot say I feel I got any difference of character of the various fjords, whereas I know each lake, each valley in the Lake District has its own character. Maybe it’s just that I’ve lived & worked in or near the Lake District for over 40 years. I’ve had time, & frequent visits, to discover the nuances of the different characters. Anyhow, I’ve decided, for this blog, I will just show some of the better photos form our recent holiday & let you wallow in them.

First sighting of land, Norway


Lysefjord

Down one of the fjords on the coast between Bergen & Sonnefjord
Down one of the fjords on the coast between Bergen & Sonnefjord
Sonnefjord & village of Flam

Naeroyfjord
Naeroyfjord
Naeroyfjord

Sunset at Naeroyfjord

Sunset at Naeroyfjord

Nordfjord

Nordfjord

Nordfjord

Hjordfjord

I still feel a further trip to the area would be worthwhile, possibly at a different time of year. Whether we actually go is anyone’s guess.

No comments: