Friday 10 August 2018

Everyday matters


A dribble of rain is coming down. It’s barely enough to wet the ground. It certainly isn’t the amount the plants are crying out for. Still more is due over the weekend. (It’s carnival weekend in Morecambe. That always seems to attract the rain, wind & cold.) Yesterday we talked to someone whose mother lives in Spain. It was apparently 48˚C there yesterday. That really is too hot!

The garden is already looking autumnal. The lavender is dull. The berries on the rowans are turning orange. Leaves on trees are drying, starting to change colour. All, I’m convinced, is due to the exceptionally hot & dry summer. Admittedly here the heat has been more tolerable lately & we’ve even had some rain, since our cruise. We’ve only had one day when it’s been warm enough to sit outside to eat our dinner. Salads haven’t had the appeal they had before going away. It’s been much more like a normal English summer.

Today we’re off for our annual MOT. We’ll be measured, bloods taken, blood pressure done. We didn’t bother last year. I’d just had so many blood tests at the hospital I couldn’t face yet more. Now is the time to get back into the routine. I can’t help feeling I’m having more than enough blood tests as it is. I will have to have some more done before my next dose of chemo at the beginning of October.

No comments: