Friday 13 July 2018

Singin' in the rain


It’s raining! Three cheers. We first had a very gentle shower, then stop. Now it’s having another go, heavier this time. You can almost hear the garden sighing with relief.

I’ve just been up to the surgery for yet another blood let. To check again my calcium levels. Results should be back next week.

Yesterday was hospital day for the Fox. They were pleased by the way his skin is looking. The worst of the inflammation has gone down. New spots keep appearing but it is a lot better. It was explained to us that once eczema erupts it takes 6 weeks before it will settle down even with the best of medications. Why couldn’t someone have said that before? Anyhow they think he’s finally onto a medication that is taking control of the rash. Now we just have to discover the minimum dosage of medication needed to keep the rash under control. They’ve even given him the direct phone number in case it erupts violently again. I put it safely away as well as written it in the diary. He’ll get another appointment in 3 months’ time.

Wednesday saw two letters arrived. One for me from the hospital with an appointment at the Breast Clinic. I rang & explained we would be in Norway at the proposed time. They agreed a holiday would do me more good than their appointment. A new time will be sent to me.

The second letter was to invite the Fox in for his annual medical MOT. I rang to arrange that. I pointed out I was surprised I hadn’t had a similar letter as they usually arrived at the same time. I was told my letter was posted at the same time as the Fox’s. I made both appointments, one after the other, for when we return from Norway. Now I just have to hope the hospital hasn’t rearranged my visit in Lancaster for the same day.

The Fox already has one appointment to see a GP soon after our return. He’s having problems with lifting his legs. It’s causing difficulties getting into the car & into bed, standing, walking etc. We’re not sure quite what’s happening but it’s too late to do much between now & our holiday. He’s either going to get a bit fitter pushing me around or we’re going to spend a quiet week admiring the scenery from the ship.

What we’d do without the NHS I don’t know. I suspect we wouldn’t even be alive by now. I sometimes wonder if old age isn’t a prolonged agony of dying. Certainly it’s a full time business getting old & decrepit.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

Hope things improve for the Fox as you venture off on the cruise. I have been following your postings and find myself empathising with the sundry health afflictions. I've been flagging, much more than my norm, during the prolonged humid hot spell and, been surprised by how much even the garden shrubs are in need of a sustained period of cooler, and wetter, weather.

Enjoy your hols!