Thursday 19 July 2018

Rain


The sun is shining. The rain has done much good. On Monday we came home in the rain, heavy rain for once. I looked outside at the paved area. I noticed what looked like a large leaf. I was just debating whether to go & get my glasses to look more carefully, or just pop out in the rain to move it, when it moved of its own accord. A great couple of leaps. It was a frog, also jumping with joy at the wetness.

Still the ground has its cracks, especially by walls & fences. Next month, unless substantial amounts of rain descend, a hosepipe ban will begin. I’m not surprised. As I’ve said before we’re profligate with our use of water in this country. We personally have not been having sprinklers on all day to maintain green lawns but many have. We’ve watered pot plants & new plantings initially but that’s it. They have to survive on their own. The situation has not been helped by the need for so much of our water being used to dowse the moor fires on the Pennines.

Still today is sunny once more. It’s nowhere near as hot. When I go out later I intend to wear a jacket for warmth.

It’s been good to have a few cooler days. Days when we’ve felt up to cooking hot food even if it has meant standing (or sitting in my case) on top of the hot hobs. We’ve even eaten the meal inside. Today the Fox is going to get the wok out to give it some exercise for a change.

No comments: