Friday 20 July 2018

A fair exchange


It seems to be a food swap day. Our gardener arrived this morning bearing 4 sachets of pheasant casserole for us. I’ve left a couple of them out for dinner tomorrow. The other two I’ve put in the freezer for another day.

In return I’ve given her an iceberg lettuce, an avocado & half a bulb of celeriac. She’s never had celeriac before & wasn’t quite sure what to do with it. As I was cooking some for today’s dinner I explained what I was doing. I diced up the celeriac, boiled it in some milk, just enough to cover it. After 25-30 mins, I blitzed in a blender, added some butter & seasoning. When it was done, I took out a little for her try. She really loved it & is keen to try it out on the family. She’s even thinking she may try growing it herself in her garden next year.

I feel it’s a fair exchange. It’s cleared our fridge a bit, reducing waste. At the same time, she’s felt she could try us out on some of her food which would only be going to waste on her part. We both get to try new foods & hopefully enjoy our culinary adventures.

No comments: