Wednesday 25 April 2018

Too much


I’ve been a bit off colour since my visit to the hospital on Monday. As usual the nurse had difficulty getting the needle in & now I have a beautiful bruise in the crux of my elbow. It looks like a vampire has bitten me with two very red circular areas with a white area between them. How the nurse achieved this I do not know as she only put the needle in once, even though she did have to wriggle it around to get it in the vein. I then sat for the best part of an hour with my arm in a rather awkward angle as the chemicals slowly dripped into the vein.

More perturbing was the news that the bloods I’d had taken the previous week showed problems. Somehow I’ve got too much calcium in my blood. I’ve immediately stopped taking my calcium tablets. I will have to have another blood test in June to see how I’m doing by then.

I didn’t realise you could have too much calcium. Indeed I’m under the illusion that post-menopausal women, as I am, couldn’t absorb & store extra calcium, thus causing osteoporosis.  Or are they trying to tell me the calcium is staying in my blood & not going to the bones to strengthen them? I’m to see my GP after the next set of blood tests & hope to get some answers.

After the treatment we went homeward. I meanwhile was becoming colder & colder. The Fox was getting more & more anxious as I got paler & paler, all colour draining from my face. I was aware of feeling very tired & went for an early night but wasn’t able to sleep as my stomach rebelled. I eventually got off to sleep after 2am. As a result yesterday I felt very tired.

However, I’m glad to say I’m feeling more like myself today. My usual bounce is returning. I’ve got my appointment for my blood-let but I can’t make a doctor’s appointment so far in advance. I just hope when I try again I can see my GP, not any old doctor that’s available. I need someone I feel I can talk to & hopefully get some explanation.

Meanwhile both of us are itching all the more, me with my psoriasis, the Fox with his eczema. That just goes to show how much of an effect a bit a stress can have.

I wonder, too, if this explains why my blood pressure last week was so low. I can’t remember ever having the lower number at 60. That figure wasn’t even on the explanatory chart on the machine.

No comments: