Monday 2 April 2018

Getting back to normal


We’re slowly getting back to normal. The big wash is under way. There always seems to be so much after a holiday – not surprising I suppose when I don’t believe in doing washing while we’re away unless it’s absolutely essential. Five full loads have been done. I’ve only one more to go but, as I haven’t anywhere to hang it, & it’s raining, I don’t see much point in washing this load until some more of the rest has dried.

On Saturday I managed a stroll round the garden. It was lovely to discover the perennial clematis was in flower along with some hellebores. There was also some bright yellow stars of winter jasmine along one fence. A few winter pansies are also laughing in the wind. The pot of miniature daffs are still in flower to jolly up the garage wall a bit. Leaf buds are appearing on the trees & shrubs.

Today I’m doing my first real bit of cooking. On Saturday we took out of the freezer a meal the Fox had made a while ago. As it had lots of potatoes & other vegetables in we only needed to warm up the stew & serve with some fresh bread. Sunday saw the Fox making one of his excellent Kipper & Egg Kedgerees while I sorted out the washing. So today is really my first bit of cooking.

So what’s it to be? I’ve made some pork burgers with some sweet and sour flavours, topped with pineapple rings. They’re in the fridge now ready to grill this evening. I also peeled some potatoes ready for chips to accompany it. The only other thing to do is find some peas in the freezer & a nice bottle of wine to go with it. I’m thinking probably a chardonnay with tropical pineapple flavours is the best bet. We’ll see what I can find.

We’re both being struck by how much more relaxed we’re feeling, how much more energy we now have. How long it will last I’m not sure. Once the Easter holidays are over I dare say the pressures of everyday life will once more settle upon us. Still it’s good while it lasts & the holiday obviously is what we needed.

No comments: