Thursday 23 November 2017

Water water everywhere



I was just about to get into the shower when there was a terrific noise at the front door. I hastily put my dressing gown around me & went to see what it was – hailstones, coming thick & fast. The wind was giving them extra force.

And this after yesterday, a day that needed lights on most of the time it was so dark. We had almost non-stop rain all day. As we came home after our shop we couldn’t help thinking there would be flooding somewhere not so far away. The news this morning seems full of it. Both Morecambe & Lancaster centres flooded. Galgate village, just the other side of Lancaster needing to be largely evacuated. The road to Carnforth flooded. Even the M6 with lanes closed due to water.

I’m anxious as to how we will get to the hospital, which is on the other side of the city centre & the River Lune & the Lancaster Canal ( both the river & the canal have burst their banks). I think we’d best take the satnav or a map in case of diversions. Hopefully the water will go down as quickly as it came up in which case all will be fine.

As some friends set off on their hols to the Caribbean we can’t help wishing we could squeeze ourselves into their cases & get away from this wet & murk.

I should be feeling relieved at least we're not flooded.

No comments: