Thursday 7 September 2017

Weather



I’ve just been out with the potato peelings to put them in the compost bin. I’m struck by number of dead leaves, red & gold, lying on the ground all around. (We’ve done or best to hide the rather unsightly bins, compost & others, behind a range of shrubs.) Autumn is well & truly here. The days are shortening rapidly at both ends of the day. I’m once more getting up a bit later & assuming I will not be doing any more jigging after dinner. In both cases because of the gloom. Soon the clocks will be changing once again.

At the moment, though, for all the gloom, wind & rain, I’m relieved to live in this country with its temperate climate. We never have the extremes some countries have. I look at the devastation caused recently in Texas, Bangladesh, Antigua & Barbuda, & suspect by now to other Caribbean islands, and feel pleased I haven’t had to endure their weather. That’s more wind & rain than I want to ever have to experience. I know most of the year they have glorious warm sunshine, but hurricanes are a hard price to pay for it. If necessary, we can go to those warmer climes at the better times of year & stay safe in the comfort of our own homes in the worse.

No comments: