Wednesday 13 September 2017

Bruises everywhere



We ran into our cruising friends yesterday & caught up on their news.

She’s been to the hospital to have some scans done on her eyes. They seem more concerned about the eye without the spider’s web, the one she’s anxious about. Anyhow, last week she was sent up to Kendal to have some 40 or so pictures of her eyes done. She gets the results this afternoon.

I hope all goes well for her. If there is something serious such as she’s going blind, I’m not sure how well she would cope. She’s got enough spunk & she’s a keen learner. However, she is also a very visual person, loving her painting & photography, is constantly being distracted by the sunsets, the clouds, the antics of the wildlife. She loves, too, the independence of being able to drive herself.

She’s been having a rough time of it of late. For years she’s had back problems & accepts that’s a norm, rather as I feel about my knees. Last week she had a fall. She had her washing out & it started to rain. Her husband rushed to help. He moved the line prop without telling her. She turned & tripped over it. Even now, nearer a week later she has a most beautiful bruised chin. She’s done her best to hide the bruising under a thick layer of make-up but even so her chin shone out all purple, black & red. I gather she managed to bruise all one side of her face, her knees & her arms. She was just relieved she hadn’t broken anything. She agreed it was a rather extreme test to check if she had osteoporosis.

Meanwhile my blood let went not without incident. The nurse got the fine needle (I’d warned her of my usual difficulties) but the vein had moved by the time the needle was in. No blood filled the phial. She then wriggled the needle around until it caught the vein. The look of relief when she saw some blood going into the phial was quite something. Needless to say all that wriggling left me with a very bruised inside to the bend in my elbow. I just hope my next blood let, next month, is with someone else. I will have enough trauma with the chemo without any trauma over the preliminary blood let.

No comments: