Saturday 16 September 2017

Looking ahead



I’ve just about finished reading my various guides to Italy. I seem to have found masses to see. Just about every church is worth seeing. There are art galleries, especially of Renaissance art, though some are more modern art. Castles abound as this area seem to have been much disputed over the centuries. At one time it was even part of Austria. Big names from various fields have visited – Winston Churchill, Napoleon, Goethe, Catullus, Thomas Mann, Lawrence Durrell, James Joyce … Mussolini had his government based in Salo on the west side of Lake Garda some of the time. There are other literary associations – Juliet’s House & tomb, both totally fictional, though there is some real basis for the tale of Romeo & Juliet.

Then there’s the glory of the lake itself & the mountains around. I’m still very much looking forward to going, though I question how much of this fascinating area we will actually get to see. We’re still so tired that I find myself wondering if we’re going to venture far from the village we’re staying in. Nonetheless I’m hoping we’ll come back restored & refreshed.

But before that I’m to the hospital this week for these allergy tests. Patches will go on my back – presumably to stop me scratching them off - & I’ll return later in the week to have them removed & skin reaction checked. I’m not sure I’m entirely looking forward to it. I know just how uncomfortable I can get when I’m come into contact with some things.  We’ll see what happens.

Still there’s time enough to recover before we’re off to Italy & that I’m really looking forward to.

No comments: