Saturday 19 August 2017

Gifts



In the end our gardener did turn up. She came bearing gifts – a small posy of flowers & some homemade jam. I thought it was so kind & wonderful.

The posy consisted of sweet peas. I love their pastel shades, whites-pinks-mauves. There was one dark wine coloured one that stood out in contrast. As for their scent, so sweet. My nose fills with it whenever I go into our lounge, especially as I added one sweetly scented white rose from our own garden. Delicious.

As for the jam, it is made from blackberries. She picked the fruit from the hedgerows. I’ve never had blackberry jam but I look forward to trying it. I know I certainly like blackberries, especially those growing wild.

I’m not sure what I’ve done to deserve such gifts. I can only suppose they’re a thank you for providing shoulder when she’s low, a garden away from family & troubles she can escape to while she regains her sense of balance & proportion. I usually try to make sure she has at least one laugh when she’s here & provide a sympathetic ear if she needs one. I usually sit on my perch stool, picking up a few weeds from around my feet as we companionably chat or work in silence. I don’t bother to get out when it is too cold or wet, or I’m just too drained & tired – there’s been a few of those days this year but I am once more regaining my balance & stamina now.

This weekend is Carnival weekend in Morecambe – a time we will be avoiding the prom & the crowds. For days food stalls & fair rides have been collecting. Each time we’ve been along the prom there is something new. I just hope the rain stays off for the weekend so everyone has a great day.

No comments: