Thursday 3 August 2017

A noise in the night



I wake up in the middle of the night. It’s still very dark.

There’s a tremendous noise outside. Somewhere between a drumming & a rustling. Is that yet another downfall? Or is it just the wind in the trees?

I don’t get up. Instead I find myself worrying about the fact my ironing lies in a bag on the utility floor. If there’s another downpour as there was on Monday night, my washing may be wet again.

I doze off again. Another time I wake up to the same sound. I tell myself if everything’s sodden there’s nothing I can do about it now.

Eventually, around 8am I get up. Sure enough there’s water along the edge of the lawn. I go into the utility room to feel the last of my washing. All is dry now, including the carpet. There’s been no flooding but nonetheless I lift the bag of ironing onto a higher surface just in case something happens before I get around to doing the ironing tomorrow.

Was it rain? Was it wind? Or was it just a dream, something imagined? I don’t know. Certainly the ground is very wet so I suspect it was rain. However the neighbour’s lawn is still green. The swing hanging in mid-air. So maybe it was a dream. These antidepressants I’m on for nerve end pain do seem to be conducive to heavy sleeping & vivid dreams, both good & bad.

No comments: