Monday 1 May 2017

Drying out



I was shocked yesterday when I went out to the garage. As I passed I noticed how dry the pots of daffodils alongside looked. I gave them a feel. The soil felt as though that wasn’t a bit of moisture in it, just dust.

When our gardener came on Friday she was concerned about a buddleia we have in one pot & concluded it was just so dry. As a result I’d got around to cleaning the bird bath & refilling it with water, then gave a good watering to all the pots. Nonetheless the pots were dry by Sunday. We gave them another good water.

I don’t remember ever needing to water the plants in April before. In high summer yes, but not April. It goes to show that, although April has seemed wet enough, it has all been light April showers that have quickly dried out in remarkably mild, or alternatively cold but very windy, weather.

Is this a sign that summer is going to be season of regularly watering everything? A sign of global warming?

No comments: