Saturday 20 May 2017

Congratulations birds & frogs



When our gardener put in the tender little plants she’d nurtured with such care from seed, she brought also a tub of slug pellets. This is an area that teems with slugs & snails. It’s the dampness I suspect. She’d tried putting young plants out in her garden unprotected to find they had been eaten all up by the next morning.

I looked alarmed. I told her that when we first came here, the ground was covered with slug pellets. Slugs & snails abounded, but other wildlife was rare. I’d stopped putting down pellets. The wildlife moved in & now the slugs & snails were reduced. Oh we still have some slugs & snails, but we also have so many more frogs & birds who are doing a far better job of controlling the pests.

She didn’t bother putting down any pellets. She told me to check every day for any signs of plant damage & quickly put down some pellets immediately. Each morning I’ve looked. All the baby plants looked healthy. Not so much as a small hole on the leaves. And no unsightly blue pellets either.

Well done birds & frogs!

No comments: