Thursday 25 May 2017

A busy week



It’s been a chaotic week.

Monday was dominated by the hospital. I went for a second dose of chemo. It took them half an hour, several attempts & a hot mat just to get the cannula in.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am that I only have to have this done once every six months. That’s traumatic enough for me! And for them! The nurse who did it said he would book his holiday for my return so someone else can have the fun.

I mentioned the breast pain I’ve been having to the oncologist. She suggested I got on to the breast clinic as she thought I should be seeing the main man again. In her report to him she would advise him of my concern.

I called in the breast clinic while we were there. The appointment there, which, at the end of March, was due this month, is now due probably at the end of June if not July. As a throwaway she said unless I have a problem. I assured her I did. I was in pain, increasing pain. She told me to ring the MacMillan nurses as they could probably slot me in earlier as a priority case. I rang them as soon as I got home on Monday. I got the answerphone. They have still not rung me back. So much for that!

Tuesday was dominated by the dreadful news in Manchester. We worried over family still living there. Had they got caught up in it all? Maybe even attended the concert. We were reassured to discover the singer appealed more to a younger audience so all should be safe, though undoubtedly it must have been an exhausting & emotionally demanding day on the Fox’s brother who works for the Greater Manchester Police.

Yesterday saw our gardener arrive. She was amazed to see all the plants she’d planted last week without the slug pellets, were still there & looking stronger than before. She’d put some in her own garden with slug pellets. They had disappeared by the following morning. I couldn’t help saying that in my experience slug pellets seem to attract the pests rather than kill them off. The birds & frogs do a far better job. She had to admit she’d been inundated with greenfly one day. She went to get the spray to kill them off. Her husband stopped her& told her to wait a bit. Sure enough, a nearby nesting bird soon appeared & took every single greenfly away to find its chicks. Such is the wonder of nature.

We’re off back to the hospital again today. This time we’re going to dermatology to check out my allergies. They caused a stir when I had my operation last October. I was told to get them checked thoroughly so off I go.

All this hospitalling has certainly made it a busy & exhausting week. We’re ready for a long quiet weekend.

I just wish those nurses would ring me back. We’ll maybe have another pop in again while we are at the hospital.

No comments: