Monday 2 May 2016

Scotland perhaps



Writing these blogs have made me realise just what a good holiday we had in the Netherlands. Indeed so much so that we’re now inspired to look into another coach trip for the summer. This time to Scotland.

It’s a long time since we last visited Scotland. Indeed I think it was before I got my first wheelchair so I borrowed one from the Red Cross for the occasion. We visited Edinburgh with a friend. The wheelchair proved invaluable & encouraged me to see about getting one of my own.

This coach trip is based at Nairn, up north near Loch Ness & Speyside. This is much further than I think the Fox would be comfortable to drive himself these days.

It would be with the same company, with the same coach, a Jumbulance, with the same drivers & tour rep, even some of the same fellow holidaymakers.

Why this change of heart? Apart from the fact we now realise that part of our discontent was due to the fact of our own tiredness. It was a whirl of activity which these days we are unaccustomed to. The scenery of the Scottish Highlands should be spectacular, so much more exciting to our tastes than the rather flat Netherlands. At the end of the day, now we’ve had time to recover through from it all, we are feeling surprisingly refreshed & reinvigorated. It is nice to have someone else sort out all the arrangements & be confident that everything organised will be wheelchair friendly.

I will admit part of the attraction is the destination. It’s a long time since I last visited this part of Scotland & the Fox has never been.

For me it is associated with my brother. The summer before I went off to university, we went on a Scottish car touring holiday, just the two of us. Among other places we stayed in Nairn. I remember it as a pleasant seaside village/small town. The holiday remains a precious memory of time spent with my brother who died in 2001. A hole still remains in my heart for him. I suppose I will always miss him.

No comments: