Saturday 28 May 2016

A-dither



We fluctuate. In or out? The referendum will soon be upon us. We expect our postal votes to arrive any day now.

We both dither. Above all we just wish we had some facts to judge on. So far we feel we’ve just had scaremongering & waffle. Are we supposed to just go by our hearts? Surely, we should be using our heads. I can certainly see this decision is important, that it will affect the economy & life of this country on a fundamental level.

I suppose I have to admit when we first joined the Common Market all those years ago, I did think we were envisaging a Europe that was heading towards a more federal system, a sort of United States of Europe akin to the United States of America. With this in mind, I’m not put out by the move to a common border, free movement within the EU, a common currency, etc.

However, I did think we would move to a more democratic system. As it is the parliament is little more than a talking shop. The power lies with unelected civil servants and appointed politicians. I don’t even know who my Member of the European Parliament (MEP) is, let along how to contact him/her. I certainly don’t think he/she represents my interests in any particular way.

I also have to admit I was thinking in terms of Europe. To me, I’m sorry but Turkey is predominantly in Asia, not Europe. Culturally & religiously they are more Asian. I do feel the EU is growing too quickly too fast, as more & more countries, with very different economic, religious & cultural values, join the EU. We’re just not allowing time for one country to be fully assimilated in the greater group, before the next joins.

So does all this mean vote leave? I’m not sure. I also feel that economically, certainly initially, we are better off in Europe. I also appreciate the freedom of movement to travel around Europe. Even not having to change currency all the time is welcome. So should we stay in & try to initiate reform from within? I don’t know. And the Fox seems to be feeling the same dilemma, though sometimes for different reasons.

No comments: