Monday 16 May 2016

A fishy day



My hands smell of fish – to be more specific smoked salmon. I’ve just been making up some fishcakes, using some smoked salmon trimmings, ready to fry up this evening. We’re back to using up from the freezer again. I am intending to buy some fresh food this week – some sea bass for Thursday or Friday & a pork shoulder for our Saturday roast this week, & the Fox wants some gammon for a slow-cooked meal he’s intending to make later in the week.

It’s an unsettling day. After over a week of pure sunshine, admittedly most of the time cool in temperature due to the chilly winds blowing, today is overcast. From time to time it looks as though the sun will win through, then it hides its bashful face behind the clouds again. The wind is definitely blowing, so I’ve hastily put my washing out to dry. I’m half-expecting it to turn to rain as the dark clouds win the battle for supremacy.

I seem to have been very tired of late. I suspect it’s due to the fact that the sunshine has tempted me out to do a bit in the garden – much more physical activity than I normally do. However, the urge to do that bit more is irresistible in the presence of so many sprouting weeds – mare’s tail, celandine, dandelions etc. I thought it would be easier dead-heading the narcissi, but when you have hundreds to do, it’s still hard going. It took me the best part of an hour to do. I also pulled out any rape I saw starting to flower. Last year the wild garden was overwhelmed by rape. We did our best to stop them self-seeding for this year, but clearly some escaped our efforts.

We’ve nothing much planned for the week ahead so we’re hoping to get to the garden centre. I’d like to get some bedding plants to cheer up a few spots & maybe a flowering shrub or tree to brighten that left side of the garden for next spring. I’m thinking about a red camellia, but who knows what I will find when we get there.

No comments: