Tuesday 24 May 2016

Gardens



At this time of the year, the garden invades my consciousness much of my time. As I make my breakfast cup of tea, my eyes are drawn to the scurrying around. Half a dozen starlings disappear into the box hedging, come out on the other side & cross a lawn, then fly on to the bird feeder before disappearing off. It looked like a family group, adult in the lead, followed by youngsters not yet in adult plumage.

I go off to the lounge to drink my tea, to hear the doves sitting atop the chimney. Their cooing & billing echoes down the chimney shaft, filling the room with sound.

I take my mug back to the kitchen to be struck anew by the magnificence of the newly opened irises & also notice the pale columns behind. Even though I haven’t got my glasses on so can’t see clearly, I realise the lupins must be opening up too.

This time of year is so full of life, be it flora or fauna. New things, new delights, are being spotted every day.

Yesterday there was a report on the radio that said that young people are not being taught gardening by their parents these days. I have to admit my knowledge of gardening is scanty. In my childhood we had a large garden. My mother was out in it every afternoon, a welcome escape from the drudgery of housework. However, my knowledge of gardening is not great. She did try giving me a small patch but I always had other things to do – a good book for example. I did learn basic weeding. I certainly learnt to recognise mare’s tails, couch grass & dandelions. But I never did learn much about growing from seeds, pruning, how to arrange plants to look good, what plants to grow where, how to take cuttings etc. What knowledge I did have is largely forgotten after nearly thirty years without a garden - I was at university, then a cottage with open hillside behind, then an upstairs flat for over 20 years. The most I’ve had is a windowsill of pot plants, mainly herbs for our dinners. But that is not to say I don’t love gardens & most of their visitors – I’m not so sure about the slugs that abound here!

No comments: