Tuesday 1 December 2015

On its way



Christmas is on its way. All the signs are there. Our first Christmas card arrived last week. Admittedly the friend who sent it so early did so to send us her new address.

A couple of weeks ago I was shocked to see my first private house with snowmen in the window. By now even a couple of houses down the street there is all sorts of Christmas related images in the windows & she’s clearly put up a couple of Christmas trees.

I find all this depressing. Christmas seems to come earlier every year. I feel like screaming “It’s not until the end of December, not November”.  I suppose now I must accept that it is December & the season of Advent has begun. By the time the event occurs it will no longer be something special, something worth celebrating. It is noticeable these days the decorations seem to come down almost as soon the next day, rather than with until Twelfth Night. We will be waiting until nearer Christmas before we put ours up, Christmas Eve if I have my way, but they do stay up for the full duration until January 6th.

The chat at the pub yesterday turned to plans about what to do for Christmas dinner. The other couple who arrived – she’s disabled like me, but in a previous incarnation was a professional chef – is thinking quail. Much as I like quail I can’t quite think of these tiny birds as celebratory. I’m thinking more along the lines of a gammon joint as we had last year. It worked out well then.

I dare say the supermarket will be full of Christmas songs when we go today. We gather from our friends it looks as though Morrisons has finally finished its refurbishment. I can only hope it settles down soon. We’re nearly at the stage of abandoning it & trying another supermarket. It’s just been so chaotic of recent weeks.

No comments: