Wednesday 23 December 2015

It's light!



I wake up. I can actually see around the curtained room. I can easily distinguish furniture, pictures on the wall, my watch by the clock, the Fox lying beside me, everything. It must be very late. I look at the clock. It’s ten past eight, not so very late.  I can’t quite believe it. I get up & dressed. 

As I go into the kitchen I become aware of the solution to the mystery - the sun is shining, the sky is blue with fluffy white clouds with pink undersides. It’s the first start to the day which is not dark & grey. I feel quite joyous.

It’s amazing what a difference a little sunlight can make. I doubt it will last all day. I will admit my spirits sank a little as I squelched across the carpet to go out to the laundry room – yet more water has come in through the kitchen door. I’m telling myself we’re lucky compared to some. My heart goes out to those in Cumbria, in Appleby, Glenridding, Keswick & Carlisle, once more flooded, some for the third time this month. Our water is reasonably clean, unlike theirs. We desperately need a few dry, very windy days, like this morning to help dry out the land. It is just so sodden the slightest downpour & there’s another flood.

I’ve just got our Christmas tree out. This afternoon we will decorate it. Maybe then we will start feeling more festive. I’m already covered with twinkly bits, as glitter scatters everywhere.

3 comments:

Malcolm said...

We too had a mysterious visitor today - too much to hope that it can last - as you suggest, a bit of bright sunshine makes a world of difference (or should that be a different world?)

Best wishes for CHRISTMAS to you and the Fox!

Malcolm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Oxcliffe Fox said...

And to you & to your dear wife, Malcolm. The Vixen