Saturday 4 April 2015

Into the garden



The sun is shining. Is this a sign of fair weather for Easter? Or just for the moment. After my wash, before breakfast, I ventured into the garden & did a bit of weeding. I’m telling myself if I do just a few minutes a day whenever it’s dry, I’ll get on top of it.

The recent rain has made the ground very wet, though no lakes as we had with the garden before its makeover. With this is mind I just did a bit of what I could reach without leaving the path.

There was plenty to do. The rain has encouraged the celandine to appear all over the place. So far the mare’s tail hasn’t emerged this year, but I’m sure it’s on its way.

So now, I once more have sore backs to my thighs. As for my back, I was hard-pushed to even straighten up for a while. I’m telling myself if I get into the routine, I should get a bit fitter & shouldn’t end up aching so much – though my knees will ache regardless. They do that permanently anyhow.

The Fox is hoping it will stay dry enough for him to have chance to give the lawns their first mow of the season. It seems quite long in parts, especially near the edges. However, I think it will need at least today to dry out a bit before he tries resting the mower on the grass, let alone cutting it.

While I was doing it, I heard once more a tapping sound. I looked back at the house. The gull is back. The window is covered with white marks where he tapped his beak. He moved off quickly enough when I shouted & waved my hands. I’ve noticed him every day since he last knocked. He seems to land on the shed roof, move over the garage roof, waddle along the pergola struts before going to the window sill. I just can’t understand his fascination with that one particular window. Any ideas? I dare say he’ll be back again tomorrow.

No comments: