Friday 25 July 2014

The parsley hunt



Footings & a few walls are starting to go up. Shapes are beginning to appear.

I would say the garden is progressing well, only now the front drive seems to have disappeared under deliveries of one sort or another – sand, limestone, sandstone, cement, bricks. It’s becoming a challenge to get out of the house, be it the front or the back.

When we came back from our escape trip to the pub, we found the drive in the above state. I went inside to start to prepare dinner, Sole en Papillote. The first thing that struck me was that I needed some herbs. I ventured to the front herb garden.

Fortunately the workmen were still tidying up before leaving. One man had even got through the piles of materials & was standing near the parsley so I asked him if he could pass me some. Clearly this is a man who is perfectly competent at the building side of things but doesn’t know his herbs.

“Which is parsley? Where is it?”

I manage to find a long piece of chives which I used to point out the parsley. He picked some, roots & all.

“There’s not much here,” he commented, as he replanted the roots. I told him there was about three little patches, some of it flat leaf rather than curly leaf. He looked again. I assured him I only needed the green parts.

He found some more & handed it over with a beam of triumph on his face. 

I wonder if he’ll recognise parsley again.

No comments: