Friday 4 July 2014

Oh for something more adult



It’s now nearly two years since I was diagnosed with pancreatitis. As a consequence I was advised to not drink alcohol for at least a full 12 months as otherwise the pancreas could not heal itself. I duly obeyed instructions.

Last time I was at the hospital I was told I could ease a little alcohol into my diet but to be careful, & if I feel any upset, stop again. Since then I’ve been having some wine with dinner most weekends.

However, it does raise the question of what to drink instead at parties, in an evening etc. There is only so much water & tea I can take, & they certainly don’t seem very special.

I tried non-alcoholic wine – & a very poor thing I found it. Most carbonated drinks are designed for children’s tastes, not adult ones. They’re not very satisfying. Instead I’ve had a selection of fruit juices, in particular the Schloer type grape juice, but recently that option has been reduced. I don’t know whether it’s the recent adverse publicity over sugar, or whether it’s part of the rationalisation on the part of Morrisons, the supermarket where we do most of our shopping, since they announced their appalling accounts earlier this year. Having said that, I have looked elsewhere, e.g. Aldi, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, for options - all to no avail.

You can imagine my amazement when we went over to Carnforth yesterday to Booth’s, ostensibly in the hope of getting some smoked trout. We came home with quite a trawl. Mojito & strawberry daiquiri concentrates to be let down with lemonade or alcohol if preferred, traditionally brewed ginger beer, mandarin & Seville orange jigger, a raspberry lemonade.

Last night we settled down to some Dean Martin & other music of the 1950s & I tried the mojito with lemonade. It was incredibly minty, quite limey, & above all, not too sweet.

It’s just so wonderful to have a more adult flavour, rather than just pop or a simple fruit juice.

Oh, we did manage to get the smoked trout too while we were there.

No comments: