Thursday 12 June 2014

Getting back to normal



Hopefully life will now settle down to something more like normality.

We went down to Stoke on Sunday for the Monday funeral. It went as well as such things can go. It was good to renew bonds with the extended family. People came from various parts of the country. We were surprised to bump into a friend of hers, an old nursing colleague, who now lives in Wray, a village just the other side of Lancaster from us. We discovered we had a mutual friend & so sent him our good wishes via her.

Now we finally feel we are home and settling down to doing all those things that mean home.

 I’ve started my new lot of medication which I put off until we returned as I didn’t want any possible side-effects while we were away.

I’ve made eye tests appointments for us next week. Now I’ve reached 60 & free eye tests, I thought I might as well have them checked out. I’ve suspected for a while my eyes have changed. I seem to have to lean into the computer screen to read it. I never used to have to.

I’ve just rung up the wheelchair service. The tyres on my wheelchair are bald which means there is no grip on smooth surfaces. It also means the brakes are not very efficient since clearly there is that little extra space between tyre & brake. So, before the accident, it’s time it was looked at.

My next job is to put in our next meat order. Now a local farmer delivers his meat direct to our house. I’ve not felt able to put in an order since we were back as I’ve not been sure when we would be in to receive the meat, with the funeral hanging over us.

It is also time to chase up the garden people. The far end is already disappearing under the luxuriant growth facilitated by the cutting down of so many trees earlier in the year. I do hope it is done soon. Even knowing when they’re coming would mean we would know if it is worth doing a bit of tidying & putting in some annuals for a bit of summer colour. As it is the weeds are rampant.

We’re also picking up the threads of our friendships. Eric, our cruising friend, is once more walking about without crutches after his knee replacement op. PD, our friend with cancer, is reacting well to his chemo & even starting to get out a bit & see friends. Den, whose wife Fran has recently been diagnosed with dementia, has finally accepted he needs help. Now someone is starting to go in to garden, clean & iron. As a result Fran is returning to appearing in her smarter clothes.

Life is getting back to normal. And I’m feeling happier for that.

No comments: