Friday 28 February 2014

Water, water, nothing but water



It’s going to be a long day.

When I spoke to Dick Gobble on Monday, he mentioned he was supposed to be going for his MOT too, only he wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be fasting before he went for the blood tests.

I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to fast before my MOT today. Usually I’ve remembered so I’ve made the appointment before 9am so I don’t have too much of the day on a water only diet. This time, as I had forgotten about the starving, I made an appointment for 3pm. That’s a long time just on water.

I have taken my morning pills. I did that when I first got up, but now it’s water until the nurse has taken my blood this afternoon.

As so often perversity kicks in. It’s once more a case of the desperate urge to go on the grass just because the sign forbids you. Many days I don’t have anything to eat in the morning. Even when I do, it’s usually just a single slice of toast. But now, my mind is obsessed with the idea of food simply because I know I must abstain from it.

Worse, though, than the lack of food, is the lack of a morning mug of tea. A cold glass of water just isn’t the same. I certainly miss the caffeine kick start to the day.

Roll on 3.30pm, when we should be done. We’re intending to pop into a local shop for some crusty bread to have with the Chicken Cassoulet the Fox has prepared for us in Big Ears (our slow cooker) for this evening's dinner. I suspect I will be ready for a little chocolate or other snack by then.

No comments: